Last updated: August 2013
You need to configure Thunderbird with the secure settings described on this page.
If you would also like to be able to look up Cambridge email addresses automatically, please see the page on configuring Mozilla, Netscape or Thunderbird to use the University LDAP Directory. this after you have set up access to Hermes.
Due to the rapid prototyping and development model chosen by Mozilla, Thunderbird has a habit of changing the names, locations or default settings for options, or other configuration changes and assumptions, which makes it difficult to maintain up-do-date version-specific instructions. The instructions provide a general guideline.
You will need to find where to create a new account, for example Tools -> Account Settings -> Add Account
- On the Mail Account Setup screen
- Complete Your name
- For Email address use CRSid@cam.ac.uk (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Do not put in your password at this stage.
- Select Continue
- Thunderbird will attempt to auto-configure settings but will not succeed.
- Now, on the Mail Account Setup screen
- For Incoming
- Check that the pull-down menu is set to IMAP
- Set Server hostname to imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk
- For Port select 143
- For Connection security (was SSL) select STARTTLS
- For Authentication select Normal password
- For Outgoing
- Set Server hostname to smtp.hermes.cam.ac.uk
- Set Port to 587
- Set Connection security (was SSL) to STARTTLS
- Set Authentication to Normal password
- For Incoming
- Make sure your CRSid (e.g. xyz789) appears as your Username
- Now select Advanced config
- Select Server Settings then Advanced. From the
settings window that appears
- Remove the tick by Show only subscribed folders
- Check that Allow server to override these namespaces is ticked
- Select OK to close the various windows
- Select Get Mail from the top menu bar and enter your Hermes password when asked.
Your account is now basically set up. There are other changes you may
choose to make. To change these select (depending on operating system
and Thunderbird version)
Edit->Account Settings or Tools->Account Settings and then select your account name.
For example you may wish to change:-
- What happens to messages you delete - Server Settings
- Whether you wish to automatically file a copy in a folder, and what folder you wish to use for draft messages - Copies & Folders
- Whether you also wish to download copies of messages onto your computer - Synchronization & Storage
From Edit->Preferences (Thunderbird->Preferences on a Mac) you may wish to consider:
- Whether Thunderbird should automatically add outgoing email addresses to an address book - Compostion->Addressing
- Whether you want to add local processing for junk and other unwanted email to the settings already in place on Hermes - Security