The type of work the Printroom produces includes:
- Lecture notes/Course notes
- Technical Reports
- Course aids
- Administration forms
- Conference reports
- University house-style business cards
Copying & Printing Services
A wide range of paper colours is available in 80gsm or 160gsm (a colour swatch is kept in Reception). Some other weights are also available, as well as acetates for OHP.
Ricoh Pro 1107EX
Black and white multi-function device with Fiery RIP
High volume monochrome digital printer copier. 1200dpi resolution for both scanning and printing. It prints at a maximum speed of 110 A4 impressions per minute. Features include:
- Double-sided A4 and A3
- Reduction/enlargement (25% to 400%)
- Good greyscale reproduction
- Automatic booklet formatting to produce A4 or A5 booklets
- Online finishing – stapling (2 to 100 sheets 80gsm)
Ricoh Aficio MP C7501SP
Colour multi-function device with Fiery RIP
Colour digital copying/printing – 1200dpi resolution, full colour, at a maximum speed of 70/75 copies per minute. Features include:
- Double-sided and single-sided A4 and A3
- Reduction/enlargement (25% to 400%)
- Good photo reproduction
- Online finishing – sorted/stapled
- Comb Binding – for documents up to 2 inches thick. Soft covers. Can open flat. A4/A5.
- Wire Binding – for documents up to 1.25 inches thick. Soft covers. Can open flat. A4/A5.
- Unibind Thermal Binding – for documents up to 1.25 inches thick. Clear plastic and soft covers. Rigid spine – does not open flat. A4.
- Booklet making – for documents up to 18 sheets. Staple, fold and trim. A3/A4.
- Stapling (up to 15mm thickness)
How to book in work for the Printroom
Please note that the UIS Printroom will be closed all day on Wednesday 30th April. We aim to open as normal on Thursday 1st May. Apologies for any inconvenience.
In September 2013 the UCS Printroom moved to the Roger Needham Building on the West Cambridge Site, along with the rest of the University Computing Service.
Work should be submitted and collected at the Roger Needham Building Service Desk on the West Cambridge Site. If you are cycling or walking the most direct route from the centre of town can be found here.
If you are in doubt as to whether a job is easy or not, or even if you want to know which formats suit our facilities best, please come and talk to us well in advance.
The turnaround times for work vary according to the complexity of the job, the amount of other work in hand and the unknown factors of machine breakdowns and staff shortages. It is advisable to give us as much time as is humanly possible – particularly in the lead-up to the beginnings of terms (especially Michaelmas).
How to supply your originals/artwork for printing
Hard copy originals
These should be taken to the Roger Needham Building Service Desk.
Files can be submitted via anonymous FTP (File Transfer Protocol) from within cam.ac.uk (for security reasons). To submit a file for printing:
- Important: First fill in an appropriate form the Roger Needham Building Service Desk.
- Create the print file as PostScript or PDF on your local computer (preferred). Other common file formats such as DOC and RTF (Microsoft Word for PC: Mac format also) are also accepted.
- Use an FTP client (e.g. Fetch on a Mac) to log into prtroom1.csx.cam.ac.uk as ANONYMOUS (case insensitive).
- When prompted for your password supply your Cambridge email address (e.g.
firstname.lastname@example.org). Navigate to the Print Room directory.
Alternatively if your web browser (IE, Netscape, Opera) is setup to allow anonymous FTP, click here and you should be able to upload your files by dragging and dropping them onto the Print Room directory.
- It is probably safest to set your transfer mode to BINARY (BIN) for most file formats, including PDF.
- Logout (QUIT) from the server.
Last updated: 27 March 2014