If you are within the Cambridge University domain (cam.ac.uk) or have a Raven account, choose the relevant link below. If you require a copy of the software and are unable to download from this page you should contact your local support staff who should be able to provide the software on a DVD or CD. For further information see Who can use this software?
Note: before downloading and installing this anti-virus software you should check with your local computer support personnel that there are no special anti-virus measures in place within your institution(e.g. ePolicy Orchestrator) which it may conflict with.
Note: server products are now made available through the TechLink Information & Downloads webpage.
VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 will work on ALL language versions of Windows.
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 (pre-configured, contains latest patches for VirusScan - will install on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows).
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 (pre-configured version, contains patch 7 for VirusScan - will install seamlessly for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows). Please note: In order to prevent cryptolocker (and other similar malware) this configuration will prevent programs that use appdata/local or appdata/roaming from runnning. If problems occur while trying to install software, temporarily turn off Access Protection.
md5file.com/calculator sha256 checksum:
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 pre-configured settings
WINDOWS 10, PLEASE NOTE:
McAfee Enterprise 8.8 needs Patch 6 at a minimum to make it Windows 10 compatible. You must install patch 6 or 7 (available below) prior to upgrading or use the full installer (available above) after upgrading.
These patches include product improvements, updates and bug fixes and should be applied to all systems. You can use the searchable NAI knowledgebase to search for any specific issues you may have. The release notes are included in a TXT file in the patch ZIP file and this contains a full list of all improvements, updates and issues resolved. These patches are cumulative so only the latest patch will be offered below.
- Patch 4 for VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.
- Patch 4 release notes
- Patch 6 for VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.
- Patch 6 release notes
- Patch 7 for VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.
- Patch 7 release notes
- Patch 8 for VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.
- Patch 8 release notes
Common Management Agents or just Agent are used for managing and updating VirusScan. Agents are updated periodically with code changes and bug fixes. The agent is used by the ePO and VirusScan updating mechanism so it is vital you have an up-to-date version. Otherwise ePO may not not work correctly and VirusScan may not update.
The version of the agent or CMA (as it is often referred to in McAfee documentation) may be checked by right-clicking on FrameworkService.exe (for 32bit versions normally found in C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework and for 64bit versions the path will start with C:\Program Files (x86)\) and clicking on Properties and then clicking on the Version tab (Windows XP) or Details tab (Windows 7 and 8).
Currently Enterprise 8.8 with Agent patch 7 contains agent 4.8, a version compatible with Patch 7 .
Agent 5.0.2 for Windows is available here http://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/cam_only/McAfee/Agent/5_0_2/MA502WIN.zip
Update for other platforms are available in this folder:
- McAfee VirusScan command line executable
- Linux (Intel 32bit) command line executable
- Linux (Intel 64-bit) command line executable
- Windows versions Product Guide (PDF)
- Unix Version Product Guide (PDF)
When an EXTRA.DAT file is posted it should placed in the same directory in which VirusScan is installed (where SCAN.DAT is) and the machine rebooted - see Working with EXTRA.DAT files. EXTRA.DATS are emergency measures and are made available from the Latest Virus Alerts page as they are issued against a specific virus threat.
The SuperDAT file that contains the latest engine upgrade and virus defintions can be found as sdat????.exe file in the SuperDAT files directory on the McAfee ftp server. The SuperDat File (Engine + DAT) allows you to update your VirusScan quickly and easily to the latest scan engine and virus defintions. Double-click the downloaded file to begin the installation process.
Access to anonymous ftp sites is not permitted via Lapwing. To get the SuperDat file using lapwing go to http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx and click on the SuperDATs tab
McAfee provide a range of utilities to accomplish unique tasks that are not commonly encountered during typical use of their anti-virus products. They are maintained and made available for download from the McAfee website at http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/index.aspx