Known problems on MCS OS X Macintoshes
Please contact the Service Desk firstname.lastname@example.org if you experience any problems that are not listed here.
- Problem: iMovie won't capture/import my video and gives the error: 'Can't Create Event, The import was canceled. You may not have the permission to write to /iMovie Events.localized'
- Reason: iMovie doesn't work correctly with networked home directories and additionally you are unlikely to have enough space in your PWF home to store videos
- Workaround: Connect an external storage device, a hard disk or a usb pen drive, before starting iMovie. This device can then be selected from the Save to: pop-up menu before creating a new event
- Problem: It is not possible to scan directly in ReadIris Pro
- Reason: VueScan does not have the driver needed for ReadIris
- Fix: None available
- Workaround: Either scan using Vuescan and then import file into ReadIris or scan as Text in Vuescan and use the OCR facility within Vuescan
- Problem: Safari asks you to enter your Keychain password for the 'login' keychain.
- Reason: Your Desktop Services password has been changed by some method other than on a MCS Mac
- Fix: Navigate to your home/Library/Keychains and throw away the file login.keychain
- Problem: On logging in you are prompted to update your keychain
- Reason: Keychain needs updating for some applications such as Safari, following an application update
- Fix: Click OK to prevent the message appearing again
- Problem: Some documents do not print from Adobe applications correctly
- Reason: Incompatibilities between some printers and binary PostScript
- Workaround: Change the preferences for each offending application to send ASCII PostScript
Last updated 16 Sep 2014