This page will guide you through the basic stages of configuring your WSUS server.
Before you configure your WSUS server you will need to adjust the pop up blocking levels for Internet Explorer. You should add an exception for the specific site rather then just allowing all pop ups.
To do this,
- Run Internet Explorer
- From the tools menu select Pop Up Blocker
- Select Pop Up Blocker Settings
- In the box for Address of web site to allow enter in the name of your WSUS Admin page (This will be http://servername/WSUSAdmin)
- Click Add
The pop ups will now be allowed which are required during the approval of updates, they are used to display the licence agreement so you can agree and approve the updates.
Synchronizing your Server
To synchronize your WSUS server with Microsft Update
- On the WSUS console toolbar click Options
- click Synchronization Options.
- Under Tasks, click Synchronize now.
There are a number of options for how you synchronise and store updates which you may want to use, see the Deploying WSUS white paper from Microsoft about these options.
After the synchronization finishes, click Updates on the WSUS console toolbar to view the list of updates. The Synchronization will take some time, especially on the first update.
Configure Automatic Updates
Client computers need to be configured to use your WSUS server. You need to make sure that the computers are using the latest version of the wuau.adm file so they can use all of the options and you need to point them to use your WSUS server.
You can configure the clients either using local group policy or Active Directory Domain Group Policy. In either case you need to be using the latest version of the Windows Update configuration information for Windows.
Changing the Windows Update Template
Windows XP SP1 and Windows 2003 SP1 machines will have the latest wuau.adm file already. For all other windows 2000, XP or 2003 versions you need to update the template. The template is stored in the \SystemRoot\inf folder of any up to date machine, where you can copy it from.
To add the template to a server or workstation to be used you need to do the following;
- In Group Policy Object Editor, click either of the Administrative Templates nodes.
- On the Action menu, click Add/Remove Templates.
- Click Add.
- In the Policy Templates dialog box, click wuau.adm, and then click Open.
- In the Add/Remove Templates dialog box, click Close.